- The Premier Cares Award recognizes standalone community agencies and health organizations that are improving the lives of the medically underserved.
- Applications for the Cares Award are being accepted through Jan. 6, 2023.
- The winner will receive a $100,000 cash prize from Premier during an awards ceremony held at our Breakthroughs Conference in June 2023.
Each year during our annual Breakthroughs Conference and Exhibition, Premier recognizes the exemplary efforts of a community organization dedicated to helping the medically underserved with the Premier Cares Award.
We receive numerous applications each year for the Premier Cares Award, and the inspiring work of these organizations often moves our judges – made up of national healthcare leaders and Premier team members – to tears.
Premier has presented the Cares Award annually since 1991 when it was created by Dr. Monroe E. Trout, former CEO of American Healthcare Systems, one of Premier’s heritage organizations. The award is sponsored by Premier and its alliance of more than 4,400 hospitals and health systems and approximately 250,000 other providers and organizations.
The award is available to nonprofit organizations, in either the public or private sector, that operate independently but are affiliated with a Premier member hospital or healthcare system in some way. Organizations must have programs for underserved populations that can be replicated in other communities, be able to show results covering a full one-year span prior to January 2023 and be able to articulate a sustainable future vision for the program.
Underserved populations include but are not limited to those which:
- Suffer severely limited access to medical, dental or mental healthcare providers.
- Bear high infant mortality.
- Face low income, high poverty.
- Experience high levels of drug abuse.
- Are economically or medically vulnerable.
- Possess a unique care need which is not being met through traditional means.
Interested in applying or know of a nonprofit organization that should?
If you know of independent local programs that provide this type of care - and are affiliated with a Premier member hospital or health system - encourage them to consider this opportunity and visit our application portal for details.
The winner of the Premier Cares Award receives a $100,000 gift from Premier to support their program and their community’s health. The recipient will be honored at Premier’s Annual Breakthroughs Conference to be held June 20-22, 2023, at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Convention Center in Nashville, TN.
Previous Premier Cares Award winners include:
2022: The BreakAway
2021: Community Enhancement Collaboration, Inc.
2020: Call to Freedom
2019: Lifehouse Maternity Home
2018: Hildegard House
The insights you need to stay ahead in healthcare: Subscribe to Premier’s Power Rankings newsletter and get our experts’ original content delivered to your inbox once a month.