Premier submitted feedback on a recently released white paper by Senate HELP Ranking Member Bill Cassidy, MD (R-LA), which outlines potential benefits and pitfalls of AI technology implementation. Premier identified several opportunities for Congressional and/or administrative involvement in AI governance, including:
- Holding AI technology in healthcare accountable to standardized, outcomes-focused metrics that take into account the fact that this novel technology is intended to evolve and learn;
- Advancing AI risk assessments that inform targeted mitigation strategies aimed at protecting patients and their data;
- Clarifying statutory and regulatory frameworks to harness AI to streamline processes and expand patient access in clinical trials;
- Promoting the use of AI in drug manufacturing to improve supply chain visibility and quality and process control; and
- Training the healthcare workforce on AI literacy to combat automation bias and related issues as clinicians continue to leverage AI to assist (but not replace) the practice of medicine.